Friday 25 January 2013

Music, what would we do without you?

Music is that thing that makes me feel good at the end of a long week when I want to let loose, makes my commute to work bearable, and can soothe absolutely any mood I am in. As a music enthusiast, I am going to be talking a lot about it on this blog. From my very first Backstreet Boys concert in grade 6, to literally stalking bands in high school, and more recently having acquired a greater appreciation for DJ'ing and its art, music has always been a huge part of my life. Music where I can hear real people playing the instruments, and the artist sounds the same live as on their album, has mostly stolen my heart, but I have interests in a little bit of everything. 

My friend Emma is incredibly knowledgeable and passionate in this sector, and has her own blog dedicated to this love. You can check it out here. She started this amazing little project called WHY MUSIC, and asked people to submit photos sharing an experience and/or why music is so meaningful to them. Go here and check it out! Anyone can make a submission. Here was mine:



I could go on and on about why I personally love music. But more recently in my life, the times that have really stood out for me are from my job. When I was in University, I was doing a lot of work in long-term care. At one particular hospital, I would have conversations with the music therapist there that blew my mind. An experience I witnessed was what my submission was about- working with a lady in her 90's, extremely sick and depressed, and denied participating in any activities we were offering with the patients. She didn't even want one-on-one time with any of us. But she did have sessions with the music therapist. She would listen to songs from her past and play instruments too. At this time she had completely revived, and was actually enjoying herself. This was absolutely amazing to see. 

Another more recent example is in my current work- working with children with autism. These kids have deficits with verbal communication. We have to teach them to talk. But one of the kids I work with knows entire lyrics to his favourite songs, and will halt all negative behaviours when these songs are playing. It is nothing short of amazing to witness and be a part of.

So music always has and always will be a huge part of my life. I am always doing research about new music, and giving everything a listen. In the future I will be sharing artists with you I love, and experiences I have. Feel free to share some music with me too!

For now I will leave you with a playlist of some songs I have been loving lately. Have a listen!


Elephant- Tame Impala
Love Is Greed- Passion Pit
Rome- Phoenix
Ritual Union- Little Dragon
Off To The Races- Lana Del Rey
Yet Again- Grizzly Bear
Something Good Can Work- Two Door Cinema Club
Anything Could Happen- Ellie Goulding
You Are the Ocean and I'm Good At Drowning- Phantogram
Pirate In the Water- Santigold
Shooting Stars- Bag Raiders
The Hours- Beach House
I Look To You- Miami Horror
Nueva Nueva- Think About Life
Sans Soleil- Miike Snow
Safe and Sound- Capital Cities
Time To Wander- Gypsy & the Cat
Somebody To Love Me- Mark Ronson and the Business International

No comments:

Post a Comment